The purpose of the Health, Safety & Environmental Specialist – Health & Safety is to initiate, implement, analyze, report-on, and oversee all safety programs for the company. The HSE Specialist will help MEVS in achieve the goals and objectives set forth for ISO45001, IATF16949, and OSHA compliance. This position will also be responsible to assist the HSE Specialist – Environmental with job functions related to environmental; however, the primary focus is health and safety.
RESPONSIBILITY AND AUTHORITY:
The HSE Specialist – Health & Safety will drive and implement the company safety programs at MEVS. The HSE Specialist is responsible for company safety programs, adherence to OSHA guidelines, safety hazards, job analysis, safety policies, and Magna Standards. The HSE Specialist will maintain records and participate in audits among other duties.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITIONS:
- Ensure all Health & Safety policies and procedures are adhered to by all Team Members.
- Follow and comply with all operational procedures/policies as stated in the employee Environmental Health and Safety programs.
- Follow and support Magna’s operating principles, including:
- Magna Employee Charter – Operating under its principles by treating all team members equally, fairly and with dignity and respect.
- Abide by MEVS policies and procedures as described in the most current version of the Employee Handbook.
- Open Door Policy – Solves issues with two-way, open, and friendly communication.
- 5S – Maintains and promotes good housekeeping by following the philosophy “Everything has a place. Everything in its place”.
- Safety First – Obey the plant’s safety rules and procedures by wearing PPE at all times and immediately addressing all safety concerns. Promotes an environment where zero injuries are the expected standard.
- Promote MAFACT benchmarks to achieve World Class Manufacturing.
- Core values – Treat all team members equally, fairly, with dignity and respect without favoritism in accordance with company values.
- Attend and participate in Team, Department, Plant-wide and any other meetings as required.
- Conduct all activities in a professional manner and positive attitude with an emphasis on personal responsibility.
- Create and implement general health and safety policies and procedures and ensure training needs are met; all in accordance with OSHA guidelines and Magna specific standards.
- Assist in the investigation of all health and safety related incidents.
- Perform plantwide safety assessments and ensure CAPA of findings.
- Compile and submit accidents reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Oversee the administration of workers’ compensation program, including working with the insurance carrier to cut down on lost employee time and cut back on unjust claims.
- Devise, supervise, and coordinate health and safety training programs or media, which will increase proficiency in safe practices and promote safety consciousness.
- Represent the organization in community or industry safety groups and programs.
- Maintain safety files and records.
- Facilitate Joint Health & Safety Committee meetings.
- Complete Job Safety Analysis’ for all existing and new equipment.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to speak publicly with confidence.
- Ability to work throughout the facility and in an office setting (approximately 50% walking/ standing and 50% office/ desk/ computer work).
- During times of need, must be open to minimal travel.
- Must be willing to work extended or flexible hours as needed.
Some of the physical demands of this position include sitting for prolonged periods of time, walking up and down staircases, occasional lifting, and occasional stooping and bending.
KNOWLEDGE/ TECHNICAL TRAINING:
- OSHA 30 Certification required
- Preferred ISO45001 Auditor Certification
EDUCATION/ WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Safety or related field; or equivalent in years of experience and education.
- Minimal 5-10 years in automotive manufacturing and health & safety compliance.
- Required to have implemented an ISO45001 system.
- Must have 2 years of Environmental experience in an automotive manufacturing facility.
Awareness. Unity. Empowerment.
At Magna, we believe that a diverse workforce is critical to our success. That’s why we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We hire on the basis of experience and qualifications, and in consideration of job requirements, regardless of, in particular, color, ancestry, religion, gender, origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity. Magna takes the privacy of your personal information seriously. We discourage you from sending applications via email to comply with GDPR requirements and your local Data Privacy Law.