A registered apprenticeship is an industry-driven career pathway where employers develop and prepare the future workforce, and individuals can obtain paid on-the-job training (OJT), related classroom instruction (RTI), and a nationally recognized credential.
Explore registered apprenticeship as a strategy to meet your needs for skilled workers.
What are the benefits?
ROI: $1.47 For Every $1.00 Invested
Retention: 80% After 5 Years
DEI: Higher Than State Averages
Recruitment: 64% Growth Since 2012
Access to State and Federal Grant Funds
What local industries have programs?
Have you identified these challenges in your workforce?
Jobs for which it is difficult to find workers with the right skills?
Positions with high turnover?
Occupations where a highly skilled workforce is retiring soon?
Difficulty attracting new and diverse talent pools?
If the answer is “yes” to any of these questions, registered apprenticeship may be a good strategy to meet your needs for skilled workers.
Macomb/St. Clair Michigan Works! Receives Early Care and Education Apprenticeship Design Grant
This 1-year grant will provide $120,000 in funding to assist employers in the design and launch of a year-long Early Childhood Educator registered apprenticeship program. The funds will help finance, provide educational support, and increase compensation for Michiganders who want to become early childhood educators in Macomb and St. Clair Counties.
Upcoming Apprenticeship Events
There are no scheduled events at this time. Please check back soon!
Frequently Asked Questions
- For both OJT and RTI starting templates/curriculum are available. These templates can be utilized as-is, or customized based on the company’s need.
- Structured On-the-Job Training (OJT)
- Minimum 2,000 hours per year of program (average 38hr/week full time work)
- Must be paired with an experienced mentor (usually 1:1) for all OJT
- Related Technical Instruction (RTI)
- Minimum 144 hours per year of program
- Training providers can be in person, virtual, or a hybrid
We have several partners here to support you as you develop and launch your apprenticeship program!
- Employer/Sponsors operate and administer the apprenticeship program.
- The U.S. Department of Labor Office of Apprenticeship is here to guide you through the steps to register a program.
- Michigan Works! can answer basic questions, assist with recruitment and screening candidates, and contribute grant funding to offset costs.
- Michigan State Office of Apprenticeship supports business growth, cultivates grant funds, and brags about employer success.
- Workforce Intermediaries provide industry expertise and assist with the development and administration of registered apprentices.
- Intermediary School Districts develop and administer Career & Technical Education (CTE) programs which teach employability skills to high school students and develop talent pipelines to apprenticeship.
- Post-Secondary Training Providers assist with the development of Related Technical Instruction and train your workforce.
- Registering your apprenticeship program with the Department of Labor indicates you’ve met national/federal standards for quality and rigor. This is another way to demonstrate your investment in workforce to prospective employees, customers, and suppliers.
- Several Federal & State Resources are available for registered apprenticeship programs, including Federal Financial Aid, Pell Grants, Work-Study Grants, GI Bill Benefits, and Education & Workforce Grant Funds to support On-the-Job Training, Related Technical Instruction, and Supportive Services.
Yes! Macomb/St. Clair Michigan Works! has grant funding available for businesses hiring eligible apprentices. Contact us to learn more about eligibility and opportunities to qualify for these funds.
Yes! Please complete the information form below to be connected with a member of the Apprenticeship team.
Workhands is Available Now!
Contact us for information on this free resource to track apprenticeship progress.
Interested in learning more about registered apprenticeships?
For more information fill out the form below
"*" indicates required fields