Job Duties & Responsibilities
Set up and troubleshoot CNC Gear Cutting machines, Shapers, Gear Grinders, and Broaches to machine close tolerance splines or gear teeth on metal blanks according to specifications, and machining instructions. Knowledge of gear hobbing procedures, including proof and edits of programs, quality standards, and measuring equipment. Operate machines when necessary.
- Read machining instructions, blueprints, and gear specification sheets to define machine settings, fixtures, and required hobs used for dimensions and tolerances.
- Select or build fixtures, holders, tooling, tooling, and attachments.
- Confer with engineers, programmers, production employees, and management to resolve machining issues, while maintaining continuous improvement, improved tool life, reduction of tooling costs, machine downtime, improved set-up time, and implementation of quality improvements.
- Work with Engineering on new product launches for fixturing, tooling, and processes.
- Comply with all work instructions, and quality certification requirements.
- Assisting/Training operators in the gear/hob/shaper department.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Requires physical ability and stamina to perform the essential functions of the position. Ability to walk, stand, lift, carry up to 40 pounds, push, kneel, bend, stoop, reach over and under waist level, and twist for extended periods on cement.
- Demonstrate the verbal and written communications necessary to complete forms, input data into computer quality, production, and engineering programs, and exchange information with other team members.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints.
- Operate in a fast-paced production atmosphere.